MEDC/UMTRI Transportation Research Internships
The University of Michigan Transportation Research Institute (UMTRI) and the Michigan Economic Development Corporation (MEDC) are partnering to introduce a new internship program which provides undergraduate students with practical research and work experience related to emerging careers. The overarching goal is to further the development of, and retain in Michigan, the necessary workforce to maintain the State’s leadership in Connected Vehicles, Autonomous Vehicle, and Mobility at large.
- Connected and Automated Vehicles
- Big Data
- Digital Human Modeling
- Vehicle Design
- Mobility as a Service
- Integrating pedestrians and cyclists
- Driver behavior and decision making
- Statistical analysis of real world datasets
- Computational modeling (MADYMO/LS-DYNA)
- Simulator Testing
- Data collection and analysis strategies
- Focus group and survey research techniques
- Communicating technical information
- Team collaboration
Eligibility: Standing as an undergraduate student attending any Michigan university or college who have completed their sophomore year, but not yet earned their degree. Compensation would be $13/hour.
- 10 hours per week for 13 weeks during the Fall or Winter terms (School Session)
- ~40 hours per week for 12-13 weeks during the Summer term (Summer Session)
- All participants are required to take part in a session-end reception to highlight research achievements by preparing posters and discuss what they learned. These receptions will be open to the University, MEDC, and invited guests. Representatives of Michigan-based companies would explicitly be invited to the receptions to engage in conversations with the students about their experience and discuss employment opportunities.
- Participants are also required to join other UMTRI interns for monthly seminars during the School Session, and weekly seminars during Summer Session, to gain exposure to a breadth of research areas and skills development
How to apply: Review available projects
Interested candidates will fill out an application form, upload their resume, and identify up to three projects of interest. UMTRI researchers will interview and hire for available internship positions until they are all filled.
For more information, please email UMTRI.MEDC.Internships@umich.edu