UMTRI/MEDC Internship Program
The University of Michigan Transportation Research Institute (UMTRI) and the Michigan Economic Development Corporation (MEDC) are partnering to provide a new internship program that provides undergraduate students with practical research and work experience relating to emerging careers. The overarching goal is to further development of, and retain in Michigan, the necessary workforce to maintain the State's leadership in Connected Vehicles, Automated Vehicles, and Mobility at large.
Research areas may include:
- Connected and Automated Vehicles
- Big Data
- Digital Human Modeling
- Vehicle Design
- Mobility as a service
- Integrating pedestrians and cyclists
- Driver behavior and decision making
Learned skills may include:
- Statistical analysis of real-world datasets
- Computational modeling (MADYMO/LS-DYNA)
- Simulator testing
- Data collection and analysis strategies
- Focus group and survey research techniques
- Communicating technical information
- Team collaboration
Eligibility: Any undergraduate student attending a Michigan college or university with junior or senior status who has not yet graduated.
- 10 hours per week for 13 weeks during Winter or Fall terms
- 36 hours per week for 13 weeks during Spring/Summer combined term
- Participation in a session-end reception by preparing posters and discussing what they have learned. Reception attendees will include representatives from UM, MEDC, and invited guests. Guests will include representatives from Michigan companies who will be invited to engage in conversations with students about their experiences and potential future employment opportunities.
- Interns will also join other participants for seminars (monthly during Fall and Winter and weekly during Spring/Summer) to gain exposure to a breadth of research areas and skills development.
See available projects for Winter 2018 term (available December 11, 2017)
Apply for MEDC Winter 2018 internships (available December 11, 2017)
See available projects for Spring/Summer 2018 term (available March 1, 2018)
For more information, please email UMTRI.MEDC.Internships@umich.edu