UMTRI’s experts use physical testing and computational modeling to understand how differences in body shape, age, and the posture within a vehicle affect crash protection so that everyone can be protected well. People with disabilities, seniors, and children all will benefit from this continued focus on crash protection.
- Al-Dirini RM, Reed MP, Hu J, Thewlis D (2016) Development and validation of a high anatomical fidelity FE model for the buttock and thigh of a seated individual. Annals of Biomedical Engineering, 44(9): 2805-2816. DOI: 10.1007/s10439-016-1560-3
- Hu J, Zhang K, Reed MP, Wang JT, Neal M, Lin CH (2019) Frontal crash simulations using parametric human models representing a diverse population Traffic Injury Prevention 19(S1): DOI 10.1080/15389588.2019.1581926
- Hu J (2016) Height of head centre of gravity predicts paediatric head injury severity in short-distance falls. BMJ Evidence-based Medicine 22:36. DOI: 10.1136/ebmed-2016-110558
- Hwang E, Hu J, Chen C, Klein K, Miller CS, Reed MP, Rupp JD, Hallman J (2016) Development, evaluation, and sensitivity analysis of parametric finite element whole-body human models in side impacts. Stapp Car Crash Journal 60: 473-508.
- Jones MLH, Ebert SM, Reed MP, Klinich KD (2018) Development of a three-dimensional body shape model of young children for child restraint design. Computer Methods in Biomechanics and Biomedical Engineering, 21(15):784-794. DOI: 10.1080/10255842.2018.1521960
- Klein KF, Hu J, Reed MP, Schneider WL, Rupp JD (2017) Validation of a parametric finite element human femur model. Traffic Injury Prevention 18(4): 420-426. DOI: 10.1080/15389588.2016.1269172
- Park B-KD, Ebert S, and Reed MP. (2017) A parametric model of child body shape in seated postures. Traffic Injury Prevention 18(5):533-536. DOI: 10.1080/15389588.2016.1269173
- Park B-KD, Reed MP, Kaciroti N, Love M, Miller AL, Appugliese DP, and Lumeng JC. (2018) ShapeCoder: A new method for visual quantification of body mass index in young children. Pediatric Obesity 13(2):38-93. DOI: 10.1111/ijpo.12202
- Reed MP and Jones MLH (2017) A Parametric Model of Cervical Spine Geometry and Posture. Technical Report UMTRI-2017-1. University of Michigan Transportation Research Institute, Ann Arbor, MI. https://deepblue.lib.umich.edu/handle/2027.42/137652
- Reed MP and Park B-KD (2017) Quantitative Evaluation of Human Body Surface Modeling Methodology. Technical Report UMTRI-2017-5. University of Michigan Transportation Research Institute, Ann Arbor, MI. https://deepblue.lib.umich.edu/handle/2027.42/137659
- Wang Y, Cao L, Bai Z, Reed MP, Rupp JD, Hoff CN, Hu J (2016) A parametric ribcage geometry model accounting for variations among the adult population. Journal of Biomechanics, 49(13): 2791-2798. DOI: 10.1016/j.jbiomech.2016.06.020
- Wiggermann N, Bradtmiller B, Bunnell S, Hildebrand C, Archibeque J, Ebert S, Reed MP, Jones MLH (2019) Anthropometric dimensions of individuals with high body mass index. Human Factors. DOI: 10.1177/0018720819839809
- Zaseck LW, Chen C, Hu J, Reed MP, and Rupp J (2018) The influence of pre-existing rib fractures on GHBMC thorax response in frontal and oblique impact. Journal of Biomechanics 69:54-63. DOI: 10.1016/j.jbiomech.2018.01.010
- Zhang K, Cao L, Fanta A, Reed MP, Neal M, Wang JT, Lin CH, Hu J (2017) An automated method to morph finite element whole-body human models with a wide range of stature and body shape for both men and women. Journal of Biomechanics 60: 253-260. DOI: 10.1016/j.jbiomech.2017.06.015
- Zhang K, Cao L, Wang Y, Hwang E, Reed MP, Forman J, Hu J (2017) Impact response comparison between parametric human models and post-mortem human subjects with a wide range of obesity levels. Obesity, 25(10): 1786-1794. DOI: 10.1002/oby.21947
- Zheng J, Tang L, Hu J (2018) A numerical investigation of risk factors affecting lumbar spine injuries using a detailed lumbar model. Applied Bionics and Biomechanics #8626102. DOI: 10.1155/2018/8626102.
- Zhu F, Jiang B, Hu J, Wang Y, Shen M, Yang KH (2016) Computational modeling of traffic related thoracic injury of a 10-year-old child using subject-specific modeling technique Annals of Biomedical Engineering, 44(1):258-271. DOI: 10.1007/s10439-015-1372-x